Hi! My name is Shelly Upperman. I started my teaching career right out of Southern Illinois University in Carbondale where I majored in elementary education with a minor in zoology. I taught first grade for two years at Giant City School before moving back to the Decatur area. I started teaching in the Maroa-Forsyth School District in 1999. Since coming to the district I’ve taught both third and fifth grades. I also spent one year teaching middle school English. While teaching, I also attended Illinois State University and earned my Master’s in Curriculum and Instruction.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Color: Teal
- Food: Chips and dip/salsa, Mexican
- Baseball Team: Cardinals
- Season: Spring/Summer
- Vacation: Jamaica and New York
- Hobbies: Reading, doing anything history related, spending time with my family
- Animal: Whales
- Movie: Goonies
- Music: Hip hop and country
- Drink: Skinny Vanilla Latte from Starbucks and Diet Coke
- Book: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
- Subjects: Social Studies and Reading
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.